Pages

WELCOME! Check out the latest in arts and entertainment---right here.
If it's hip and happening in Central Kansas, you'll see it here first.


Monday, June 10, 2013

Bent Road

Monday Night Book Discussions
"Bent Road"
(written by Lori Roy)
Salina Public Library
Salina, KS
© Lydia Lowe  6/10/2013


     I'm a writer myself so probably the first thing that I notice about a book is the writing style and I will have to say that I didn't particularly care for this writer's style.  The book was written like a play, it was all about setting the scene and then I'd wait, and nothing happened.  Even though I knew that was the style, I still found it annoying and that never really left me throughout the entire book.

     However, there was a story in all that mess and it is a good one.  I read a lot of mysteries, so many times I know ahead of time where the story is going before it actually gets there.  I don't know if it was due to the writing style or what, but I did let the writer lead me to conclusions within the story.  I guess you could say, I didn't find this story as predictable as some.  

     The characters were well written and fully formed, especially the state of Kansas, which I felt was one of the characters.  It played a very important part in the story, much more than just as a backdrop.  All the characters intermingled together to tell a story of life and death, love and loss.  The story begins immediately with a kidnapping and leads the reader to an earlier crime that has many similarities to the present day.  All of this is set in motion when a son returns home with his family to make a new life and put the past to rest.  All this activity seems to stir the life in the community to a rolling boil.  I don't know if the author ever lived in Kansas, but she really nailed how life is here in the state.  

     I don't think that this book portrayed Kansas necessarily in a good light, but it was accurate to the country, the people, and the attitudes of those who live and work here.  If you like a good mystery that seems very realistic, if you like reading books set in Kansas, you'll enjoy this book.


No comments: