Pages

WELCOME! Check out the latest in arts and entertainment---right here.
If it's hip and happening in Central Kansas, you'll see it here first.


Monday, June 11, 2012

Pride & Prejudice

Monday Night Book Discussions
"PRIDE & PREJUDICE"
(written by Jane Austen)
Salina Public Library
Salina, KS
© Lydia Lowe  6/12/2012

Pride & Prejudice . . .I read this book on my own when I was in junior high school.  I enjoyed the rhythm of the words and the way it was written.  There's a lyrical, poetic bent to the the writing.  I'm a poet so this appeals to me.  The rhythm and the way the writing falls back upon itself.  The story is appealing, too.


However, as an adult, still a poet, but more of a prose reader, I found that all of the things that I loved about it in junior high school I don't particularly care for now.  As an adult, I read more for story and character and less for the way the words fit together.  I think that's sad, but there it is. 


This is an excellent read.  But be prepared to take your time reading it.  You can't just sit down and run through it like you can with today's books.  It has to be savored and requires a lot of thought as you go along.  The story is worth it, if you can keep the rhythm and the thought processes going in a round about direction. 


Then again, maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this type of book at this time.  Sometimes you just have to be in the mood . . .

No comments: