Pages

WELCOME! Check out the latest in arts and entertainment---right here.
If it's hip and happening in Central Kansas, you'll see it here first.


Sunday, January 29, 2012

All Necessary Force-A Book Review

ALL NECESSARY FORCE
Brad Taylor
© Lydia Lowe 1/29/2012


All Necessary Force . . . The crew from "One Rough Man" are back.  Pike, Jennifer, and the rest of the special forces gang.  What a great read!  I love a book with a lot of action and adventure.  Covert forces working behind the scenes to promote good and defeat evil, even better. 

What really drew me into this book was the fact that there is a strong female lead character and she shows up at the beginning and there's a bit of a mystery as to what is going on with her.  I like a strong female character who can go toe to toe with the guys.  She's expected to hold her own and she does, and more.  There's a relationship budding between Pike and Jennifer which I think adds so much to the story.  Women tend not to read books like this because it's usually a book about a group of guys doing guy things.  There usually aren't any women in the book, forget about relationships or well-developed characters.  It's all about the action.  This book, however, is far from that stereotype.  Women will enjoy this book and if they pass it by because of the marketing of the front cover, they will be missing out on a special book.

I especially like the way that the book is written.  For the most part it is written in third person, except when Pike is talking, where it switches to first person.  I have never seen this device used before and I'll have to say that this form lends itself well to this book.  As a reader, I felt like I was one of the characters on the mission.  Being able to identify with a female lead character helped that feeling along, as well.

I haven't had a chance to read the first book, although I have seen it out on the bookstore shelves in paperback.  This second book in the series, "All Necessary Force" can stand on it's own, if you haven't had a chance to read the first book, "One Rough Man".  I imagine though that the story is richer, if you read them both.  So now I'm going to have to backtrack and read the first one.

Check this book out if you're looking for something fast paced, a little bit different, and full of action.  It's a great read.

No comments: